Saturday, March 5, 2011

So, what will happen here?

For a long time the Episcopal Church had a book called Lesser Feasts and Fasts that would be updated as needed at General Convention with information about Christians who the Church wanted to remember with a feast day. Along with these people there were also options for celebrations of the Holy Eucharist on the weekdays of our Church seasons. In recent years there has been some concern that the book LFF might be seen as minimizing (because of the term 'lesser') the work of those observed, and so there has been a title change to Holy Women, Holy Men: Celebrating the Saints. The idea is still the same, but it's a different name.

Within this book there are prescribed readings for each weekday during the season of Lent. There's a special collect, or prayer, along with a Psalm, an Old Testament reading, and a passage from one of the Gospels. What I hope to do here is give a brief reflection or a few thoughts on those readings each day throughout the season. I hope this will give you an opportunity to respond or at least make this part of your daily routine. I can't promise what shape this will take over the next couple of months, but hopefully we'll find out together. Thanks again for tagging along and holding me accountable here!

1 comment:

Martha Terry said...

I tried to leave a comment - but I am not sure it worked. Let me try again.

I look forward to your daily writings. Thank you for doing this for the church.

Martha Terry