Friday, December 20, 2019

Advent Word - December 20 - #go - “Go Dawgs.”

The "Advent Word" practice is a daily meditation on a given word and an opportunity to share that reflection on social media with others who are keeping this practice. It's akin to an Advent calendar, but with many boxes to open on a given day. Sometimes the reflections are sincere, and sometimes they're a little silly, but at the end of the day, it's a practice set aside to help us observe the season of Advent in the midst of the world's busyness. With all of that in mind, this is going to be my attempt to observe the Advent Word practice. I wish I could promise a reflection every day, and we'll see where this goes together.

I went to visit someone today for what was probably the last time. He's one of the first people I met when we moved to town, and we were introduced by a mutual friend who knew that both of us had a deep love for both the Episcopal Church and the University of Georgia Bulldogs. This gentleman wasn't a member of our parish, and he didn't live in town, per se, but we saw each other off and on around the community and at funerals here and there over the past number of years.

In the last month or so he came by to visit, and we talked for a while. He left me with an envelope that had a lapel pin in it with the University of Georgia "G" logo. His note said, "Once a dawg, always a dawg. Wear pin with pride." And then, he drew a smiley face on it, much like the same smiley face on the styrofoam cup that sits next to it, given to me by the friend who introduced us in the first place many years ago.

I can't say that I know B well, but I know he is well-loved and well-thought of by his friends and his community, a fact made clear in the long list of names who signed the sheet to get into the building where he is. And I don't know how much time he's got left in this life, either. But he said to me at some point today in our talk, "No matter where you go, always be kind." It's a maxim that's served him well. As he laid there hurting, there was no panic or fear. He was hurting, yes, but he also had a peacefulness to him in knowing that he's run his race faithfully; he's lived into his faith fully; and his mark has been left on those he's known and loved.

Well done, good and faithful servant.

And Go Dawgs.

No comments: